B.Sc CATERING SCIENCE & HOTEL MANAGEMENT
To Explore, Experiment and Excel in the field of Higher Education globally.
Our mission is to educate the youth to meet the global challenges and enable them to excel in the field of their choice and instill in them a sense of social responsibility through enriched trainings and research.
PROGRAMME EDUCATIONAL OBJECTIVES
PEO 1: Flaunt high standards with regard to performance in academic and value based quality education in hotel management.
PEO 2: Have acquired a holistic knowledge of catering and hospitality operating procedures and entrepreneurship initiatives.
PEO 3: Have obtained good communication and inter-personal skills to deliver better performance on the job globally.
Upon completion of the programme, the students will be able to
PO 1: Perform effectively and efficiently to the standards expected globally in different sectors of hospitality industry.
PO 2: Use appropriate tools and techniques necessary for practices in different operational areas of hotels, restaurants & other hospitality sectors.
PO 3: Perform at the operational and supervisory levels proceeding to managerial level.
PO 4: Function effectively as an individual and in a team to accomplish common objectives.
PO 5: Communicate effectively within the organization and society at large, being able to comprehend and prepare effective reports and give and receive clear instructions.
PO 6: Analyze situations, identify problems, formulate solutions for the problems and implement corrective measures and actions.
PO 7: Undertake and organize catering related activities.
PO 8: Understand health, legal, environmental and ethical issues and the responsibilities relevant to the hospitality professional practice.
PO 9: Recognize the need for and develop the ability to engage in continuous learning in the context of change in hospitality sectors.
ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT
B.Sc., Catering Science & Hotel Management was one among the five courses offered during the inception of the college in the year 1987. Since then the Department has been preparing the students for the Hospitality Industry and has successfully trained more than 2000 aspirants. SNR Sons College is first in Tamilnadu and second in India to offer degree program in Catering Science & Hotel Management (B.Sc., CS & HM). The department has highly qualified and experienced faculty members, well equipped laboratories, Industry oriented curriculum and offers 100% placement assistance to aspiring students. The students are employed in various sectors of the hospitality industry in India and abroad. Some of the students are successful entrepreneurs in India and abroad.
STRENGTH OF THE DEPARTMENT
- Practical oriented curriculum
- Six months internship
- Alumni support for internship and placement in India & abroad
- Conducting guest lectures by industry experts which enables students to be updated with the current trends in the industry.
- Conducting demonstration and workshops which enhances employability skills of students.
- Celebrating festivals like Onam, Christmas &Pongal, which enable students to understand varied culture andfestive menus.
- Inculcating values by organizing visits to orphanage, old age home and hospital.
- Restaurant Manager for fast food joints
- Club / Recreation / Health Centre Managers
- F&B / Accommodation Managers / Chef in Cruise lines
- Hospital Administration Manager
- Industrial / Institutional Manager
- Airline Catering Manager / Cabin crews
- Manufacturers and suppliers of Hotel and Restaurant equipment’s
- Trainer in Hotel and Catering institutes
- Hotel and Tourism Associations
- Catering Managers in Railways, Armed forces, Ministerial conventions etc.
- In food, confectionery and beverage production industries.
- Public relations
- Event Manager
- Travel and tourism industry
- Sales and Marketing Manager
- Amusement Park
- To arrange internship for our students in foreign countries
- To arrange for placement in foreign countries
- Motivating entrepreneurship among students
- Inauguration of Association of CS&HM
- The Association of Catering Science & Hotel Management was inaugurated on 17th August 2017 by Mr. Abhiram Menon, General Manager, Hotel Lemon Tree, Coimbatore. The HR Manager, Mr. Vijeth Poojary accompanied the General Manager and addressed the students.
Inauguration of Association of CS&HM
- The Association of Catering Science & Hotel Management was inaugurated on 18th August 2018 by Chef Anand Ramakrishnan, Executive Sous Chef, Kempinski, Dubai who is an elite alumnus of the department.
- The department organized a Cookery Competition “Master Chef Style Cook off Competition” themed on Pan-Asian Cuisine on 13th July 2018. There was also a demonstration on Thai Cuisine by Chef Ram Kumar, Va Pho Restaurant, Coimbatore. Around 30 teams including hotel management students and home makers took part in the competition.
- The department celebrated Onam festival in the college on 1st September 2017, with pageantry and splendor. The festive spirit was brought out by the Athapookalam, the characteristic floral designs symbolic of this festival, Chenda melam, the most popular Kerala’s instrumental music form and Onam Sadya, an elaborate and grand meal including 23 traditional dishes prepared and served by the students of the department.
Christmas was celebrated by the staff and students of the department on 19th December 2018 at “Aravanaikkum Anbu Illam” – a home for children and old age located at Gandhimanagar.
The department celebrated Pongal festival on 11th January 2019 at Ceshire Home, a home for mentally ill elders.
Tourism Day Celebration
- The department celebrated World Tourism Day on 27th& 28th September 2017. A rally was conducted to create awareness on various tourist destinations in India. The rally was flagged of by Sub-Inspector, E-2 Police Station, Peelamedu - Mr.Kandasamy. Various competitions like Heritage Triumph, Pencil Sketch, Face Painting, Video shoot were also conducted. A seminar was organized in which J.Issac Samuvel, Store Manager, COX & KINGS, Coimbatore was the speaker. He addressed the students on “Sustainable Tourism For Development - 2017”
- The department celebrated Pongal festival on 10th January 2018 at Ceshire homes, Home for mentally ill people.
- The first year students of the department were taken on an industrial visit to Vivanta by Taj Surya, Coimbatore on 12th October 2017. The visit was organized with a view to give an orientation to the fresher’s about the operations and functions of the various departments of a five star hotel.
- The second year students of the department were taken on an industrial visit to Hotel Gokulam Park, Coimbatore on 26th October 2017, where they got an exposure about basic operations & functions of various departments.
- The Second year students were taken on an industrial visit to the dietary kitchen of Sri Ramakrishna Hospital on 23rd February 2018. The visit was organized for the students to get knowledge on preparing the foods based on the dietary requirements instructed by the doctors.
- The Second year students were taken on an industrial visit to Ci-Gusta an Italian restaurant on 9th March 2018. The visit was organized for the students to enlighten them on the intricacies of Italian cuisine.
- The second year students of the department were taken on an industrial visit to United Breweries, Cherthala, Kerala on 19th March 2018. The visit was organized for the students to get an in-depth knowledge on the production and storage method of brewed alcoholic beverage.
- The students of first and second year were taken to Hotel Lemon Tree, Coimbatore on 21st March 2018. The visit was organized for the students to get an overview of basic operations and functions of various departments in a star hotel.
An inter-collegiate meet “FIESTA – 2018” was conducted by the department on
21.2.2018. The function was inaugurated by Mrs. CA. Dhanalakshmi.B, Deputy General Manager- Finance, Lakshmi Machine Works Ltd., Felicitation was done Mr. CA. Rajesh.S Chairman ICAI, Coimbatore and More than 650 students from various colleges in and around Tamilnadu participated in the events. The overall championship was won by PSG College of Arts and Science, Coimbatore.