About the Department
The Department of Biotechnology was established in the year 2006 in Sri Ramakrishna College of Arts & Science with the vision to be and remain a leading centre in education, research and entrepreneurship in Biotechnology. Post Graduation (PG) courses commenced from the year 2006. The Department was recognized as research Department from the year 2010 and has been consistently involved in research and extension activities. The Department is supported with DST-FIST and DBT Star College scheme. Research and extension activities and out-reach programmes are regularly conducted by the Department. Faculty members in the Department are experienced in Microbial metabolomics, Environmental Microbiology, Bionanomaterial Sciences, Plant and Molecular Biotechnology, Pharmacogenetics, Behavioural Neuroscience, Cancer biology, etc.,
STRENGTH OF THE DEPARTMENT
To be and to remain a leading center in education, research and entrepreneurship in Biotechnology, guided by outstanding scientific and ethical principles, and thus contribute to the dynamic socio-economic and cultural development..
To produce Quality Technocrats with knowledge of Biology. Nurture ideas, Innovations, Research and Entrepreneurship and to develop Industry ready competent human resource ( possess good communication and interpersonal skills). To equip the graduates with problem-solving and critical thinking skills..
Programmes Offered by the Department
- B.Sc Biotechnology
- M.Sc Biotechnology
- M.Phil Biotechnology
- Ph.D Biotechnology
PROGRAMME EDUCATIONAL OBJECTIVES
- To acquire in-depth knowledge of the basic concepts of the structure, morphological feature analysis, physiological functions and apply fundamental technical knowledge and skills to find workable solutions to technological challenges and problems in core and allied areas of Biotechnology.
- To adopt new innovative technology by continuously updating their knowledge for achieving personal and organization growth.
- To perform their duties efficiently, effectively and ethically at individual level and also at group level in a multidisciplinary team, contributing to the welfare of the society.
- Have strong communication and interpersonal skills, broad knowledge, and clarity of the branches under the umbrella.
Upon the completion of the programme, the students will be able to
- Apply knowledge of applied science and research fundamentals in the areas of biotechnology – Cell and Molecular biology, Microbiology, Biochemistry, Bioinformatics and Bioprocess technology.
- Impart knowledge of contemporary issues related to health, environment and industry.
- Use the techniques, skills, and modern scientific tools necessary for laboratory practice with appropriate considerations for societal and environmental constraints.
- Utilize core knowledge in a global, economic and environmental context for sustainable development.
- Use various techniques / and its valuable products which will be of great use to the society, during crisis.
- Demonstrate knowledge of recent trends in the field of Biotechnology.
- Communicate effectively in both verbal and written forms.