B.Sc & M.Sc BIOTECHNOLOGY
To be and to remain a leading center in education, research and entrepreneurship in Biotechnology, guided by outstanding scientific and ethical principles, and thus contribute to the dynamic socio-economic and cultural development.
To produce Quality Technocrats with knowledge of Biology. Nurture ideas, Innovations, Research and Entrepreneurship and to develop Industry ready competent human resource ( possess good communication and interpersonal skills). To equip the graduates with problem-solving and critical thinking skills.
PROGRAMME EDUCATIONAL OBJECTIVES
- To acquire in-depth knowledge of the basic concepts of the structure, morphological feature analysis, physiological functions and apply fundamental technical knowledge and skills to find workable solutions to technological challenges and problems in core and allied areas of Biotechnology.
- To adopt new innovative technology by continuously updating their knowledge for achieving personal and organization growth.
- To perform their duties efficiently, effectively and ethically at individual level and also at group level in a multidisciplinary team, contributing to the welfare of the society.
- Have strong communication and interpersonal skills, broad knowledge, and clarity of the branches under the umbrella.
Upon completion of the programme, the students will be able to
- Apply knowledge of applied science and research fundamentals in the areas of biotechnology – Cell and Molecular biology, Microbiology, Biochemistry, Bioinformatics and Bioprocess technology.
- Impart knowledge of contemporary issues related to health, environment and industry.
- Use the techniques, skills, and modern scientific tools necessary for laboratory practice with appropriate considerations for societal and environmental constraints.
- Utilize core knowledge in a global, economic and environmental context for sustainable development.
- Use various techniques / and its valuable products which will be of great use to the society, during crisis.
- Demonstrate knowledge of recent trends in the field of Biotechnology.
- Communicate effectively in both verbal and written forms.
ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT
The objectives of the department are to conduct high quality basic research and training in frontier areas of Modern Biology and promote facilities for new and modern techniques in the inter-disciplinary areas of Biology. Realizing Biotechnology as one of the greatest intellectual enterprises of human kind, the B.Sc. and M.Sc. Biotechnology degree courses were started in the year 2006 to provide the impetus that fulfills this potential of understanding life process and utilizing them to the advantage of humanity. Attaining new heights in Biotechnology research and shaping Biotechnology into a premier precision tool needs lot of infrastructure which the department of Biotechnology provides the students. Considering the need for creating a separate framework to strengthen the Department of Biotechnology, research was started in the year 2007 and students are enrolled for M.Phil. and Ph.D. in Biotechnology.
The department has sophisticated facilities viz., UV Spectrophotometer, Refrigerated Microcentrifuge, High Speed Centrifuge, Ultrasonicator, PCR Machine, ELISA Reader, Electroblotter, Milli-Q-Filtration System, Inverted Microscope, CO2 Incubator, Gel Documentation Unit, deep freezer, Bioreactor, Walk-in Cold Room, etc.,
The teaching approach of the undergraduate and post graduate programmes offered by our department of Biotechnology combines the conservative with the innovative, in-order to articulate a multi-disciplinary perspective on Biotechnology, which is holistic and pragmatic. Such a versatile and innovative approach is sure to provide students with the necessary resources to face the challenging working environment after graduation. Our programmes are structured in such a way as to allow students to acquire useful perspectives on emerging technology while maintaining core focus.
Biotechnology is the research-oriented science including a fusion of biology and technology. This programme encompasses a large variety of subjects including Biochemistry, Genetics, Microbiology, Chemistry, Molecular Biology, Immunology, Animal Biotechnology and Plant Biotechnology. It is associated with other subjects such as, Biostatistics, Cell Biology, Nanobiotechnology, IPR etc.
Objectives of the B.Sc. Biotechnology program
- To impart basic knowledge and skills of various aspects of biotechnology
- To train the students for industrial need and to pursue further education
- To inculcate entrepreneurship among the students so as to start their own ventures in the field of Biotechnology
Research in Biotechnology (M.Phil. and Ph.D.)
Over the years, Biotechnology Programme at SRCAS has established itself as a leading academic Programme both from the teaching and research point of view. Research program provides a scientific foundation for understanding the health consequences of the environment.
STRENGTH OF THE DEPARTMENT
- Recruitment of faculty with strong teaching and research background in diverse biological disciplines
- Rigorous hands on research and presentation experience for students
- Innovation in course delivery - Live discussion with groups of students, creation of rubrics and grading course assignments, online tests and quizzes
- Flexibility in curriculum – providing opportunity to select optional courses of their choice
- Motivating students to earn Additional credits
- E-governance through Google drive - accelerating easy and fastest communication of all official information
- Encouraging students to publish papers in leading International and national Journals
- Motivating students to present papers in seminars and conferences organized by other colleges and our college.
- Undertaking research projects
- Career opportunities for students in biotechnology are abound.Those specializing in different sub-disciplines of this field can easily find jobs in both private and government sector undertakings.
- Major recruiters include industries engaged in processing and developing agricultural and biological products, bio-processing industries, pharmaceutical and chemical industries.
- There are ample opportunities in industries producing healthcare products, textile industry, cosmetics and organizations engaged in different types of industrial research and development.
- Biotechnology assimilates in itself a number of disciplines.
The graduate and post-graduate students of Biotechnology are successfully employed in various companies which include
- Abexome Biosciences Pvt. Ltd., Bangalore
- Avesthagen Ltd. Bangalore
- Biocon Ltd. Bangalore
- Cipla Ltd.Mumbai
- Connexious Life Sciences Pvt. Ltd. Bangalore
- Dr. Reddy’s Laboratory Ltd.Hyderabads
- Himalaya Drug Company Bangalore
- Jubilant Life Sciences Ltd.
- Molecular Connections Pvt. Ltd. Bangalore
- Monsanto Research Centre. Bangalore
- Natural Remedies Pvt. Ltd. Bangalore
- Novazymes South Asia Pvt. Ltd. Bangalore
- Radiant Research and Services Pvt. Ltd,. Bangalore
- Ranbaxy Laboratories Ltd. Gurgaon, Haryana, India
- Reliance Life Sciences, Maharashtra .
- Sortorius India Pvt. Ltd. Bangalore
- Triesta Sciences. Bangalore
- Zifo Rnd Solutions, Chennai
- Ayman Edriesal Hassan Fadle Allah ( 2011-13) Teacher, Saudi Arabia
- Raj Mehammaed J (2011-13) Clinical Executive, Dell Solutions
- Ramraj R (2011-13) Clinical Executive, Dell Solutions
- Srinivasn S (2011-13) Clinical Executive, Dell Solutions
- Ashok Kumar (2011 – 2014 ) Thyrocare Coimbatore
- Jeeva Kumar I (2011 – 2014 ) Thyrocare Coimbatore
- JanananiMathivathaniam J (2013– 2015) Trainer Omga company Trichy
- Keerthana T (2014-17 )Visionary RCM
- ShahanaParvin H (2014-17 )Visionary RCM
- Thilha M (2014-17 )Visionary RCM
- Abirami A (2015-18 ) Focus Edumatics
- Aneesha P J (2015-18 ) Focus Edumatics
- Kalaivani M (2015-18 ) Focus Edumatics
- KolomAnjupyaridevi (2015-18 ) Focus Edumatics
- Preethika B (2015-18 ) Focus Edumatics
- One day workshop Biospark-09 on “Insilico Drug and Vaccine Designing” held on 21st October 2009 Organized by GENSILICO BIOSOLUTIONS, Chennai and Department of Biotechnology, SNR SONS College, Coimbatore.
- One day workshop Biospark-11 on “Cutting Edge in Molecular Biology” held on 14th March 2011 Organized by LARK INNOVATIVE FINE TEKNOWLEDGE, Chennai and Department of Biotechnology, SNR SONS College, Coimbatore.
- One day workshop Biospark-12 on “Workshop on Bioinformatics” held on 18th Febrauary 2012 Organized by SAI BIOSCIENCES, Coiimbatore and Department of Biotechnology, SNR SONS College, Coimbatore.
- One day workshop Biospark-13 on “Cutting Edge in Molecular Biology” held on 12th Febrauary 2013 Organized by Centre for Biosciences and Nanoscience Research (CBNR) Coiimbatore and Department of Biotechnology, SNR SONS College, Coimbatore.
- One day workshop on “BIOINSTRUMENTATION” held on 04th January 2014 Organized by Dinu Technology Scienntific Instruments, Coimbatore and Department of Biotechnology, SNR SONS College, Coimbatore.
- Two days Training programme on “Self Defence” held on 17 and 18th January 2014 by District President, Taekwondo Association, Coimbatore.
- One day Entrepreneurship Awareness camp held on 22nd January 2014 by Department of catering science and Hotel management and Department of Biotechnology of SNR SONS college and PSG College of Arts and Science College, Coimbatore
- One day Hands on Training Biospark-14 on “Bioinstrumentation and Plant tissue culture techniques” held on 27th Febrauary 2014 Organized by and Department of Biotechnology, SNR SONS College, Coimbatore.
- One day workshop on “Computer Aided Drug Designing” held on 31st December 2014 Organized by Applied Research and Training Centre for Empowerment, Coimbatore.
- One day workshop BIOSPARK 2015 on “Computer Aided Drug Designing” held on 20th January 2015 Organized by Department of Biotechnology of SNR SONS college, Coimbatore.
- One day scientific session BIOSPARK-16 on “Biosystems Engineering” held on 9th March 2016 Organized by Department of Biotechnology of SNR SONS college, Coimbatore.
- One day scientific session BIOSPARK-17 on “Medical, Environmental and Herbal Technology” held on 23rd March 2017 Organized by Department of Biotechnology of SNR SONS college, Coimbatore.
- Two days Lecture workshop on “Modern Trends and innovations in biological sciences” held on 05th and 6th October 2017 Organized by Department of Biotechnology of SNR SONS college, Coimbatore.
National and International conference
- One day National conference BIOSPARK 2010 on “Vaccine Biotechnology” held on 20th February 2010 Organized by Department of Biotechnology, SNR SONS College, Coimbatore.
- One day International Seminar on “Infection and Immunity” held on 18th February 2015 Organized by Department of Biotechnology, SNR SONS College, Coimbatore.
The Following Special Lecture Series was organized by the Department
- Biotechnology Association was inaugurated on 11th August 2017 by Dr.N.Senthil Kumar, Scientist E, Division of Bioprospecting (IFGTB – ICFRE), Coimbatore and installed the Office bearers (Image 2)
- A Special lecture on “Diabetes in Rural India” by Dr.K.Swaminathan, KMCH Research Foundation Consultant Endocrinologist, KMCH, Cbe on 16th Aug 17.
- Special lecture was delivered on “Ways to prepare for KVPY Scholarship Examination” by Dr.P.Kandaswamy, Research Centre for energy Conservation System Dept. of Mechanical Engineering Doshisha University Kyoto, Japan on 12th Aug 2017 (Image 1).
- Special lecture on “Biodiversity and Conservation of Nature and Natural Resources in Nilgiris” Dr.S.Rajan, Field Botanist, Central Council for Research in Homeopathy, Ministry of Ayush, Govt of India on16th August,2017.
- Special lecture on “Environmental Studies” by K.Kumaraswamy UGC – BSR, Emeritus Professor, Dept. of Geography, Bharathidasan University,Thiruchirapalli on 29th Aug 2017.
- Special lecture on “Molecular Biology, Virology, and Viral Detection including Lab Animals and Ethics” by Dr.S.Gnanapoongothai, Professor, Dept. of Microbiology, PSG Institute of Medical Science and Research during 13th Sep 2017.
- Special Orientation Programme on “Introduction to Bioinformatics” was given on 21st Dec 2017 by Dr.Jeyakumar, Professor, Dept. of Bioinformatics, Bharathiar University, Cbe -6.
- Science Academies Lecture Workshop under the Convenorship of Dr.R.Raghavendra Rao on 5th & 6th of October 2017
- D.Jayasheela and Dr.A.Dhivya attended Science Academies Lecture Workshop on “ Role of Science in Sustaining Bio-resources” organized by PG and Research Department of Biotechnology, Hindusthan College of Arts and Science on 25th and 26th July, 2017.
- D.Jayasheela and Mrs.V.Pradeepa attended Science Academies Lecture Workshop on “Prospects and Challenges in Animal Science” organized by Department of Zoology, NGM College, Pollachi on 7th and 8th September, 2017.
- V. Pradeepa attended an “International conference on Biochemistry for homeostasis in Health” organized by Department of Biochemistry, PSG college of arts and science on 10th August, 2017
- G. Subhashini Participated in “Science academies lecture workshop on prospects and challenges in animal sciences” organized by Department of Botany, Bharathiar University on 17th -18th July 2017.
- G. Subhashini participated in an International conference on “Environment ,genes , health, diseases-2017” organized by Department of Human Genetics and Molecular biology, Bharathiar University on 22nd -24th August 17
- D.Jayasheela and Dr. M. Ramesh Participated in the training on “Bioprospecting and Biopiracy” under Umbrella scheme of “Forestry Training and Capacity Building” for other stakeholders, at Institute of Forest Genetics and Tree Breeding, Coimbatore during 10th to 12th October,2017.
- G. Subhashini published a paper entitled “Underutilized fruits derived Neutraceuticals – A rejunuvator” in the Indian Journal of Scientific Research, during Sep. 2017.
- G. Subhashini published research paper entitled “Neutracetical studies on Eriobotrya japonica (Thunnb.) Lindl. (Fruits & Seeds)” in the International Journal of Advances in Scientific Research during Nov. 2017.
- S. Narendhran published a paper entitled “Impact of Titanium nanoparticles in implants” in Research & Development in Material Science during Sep.2017.
- S. Narendhran published a paper entitled” Role of zinc oxide nanoparticles: Sesamum Indicum growth and yield” in Research & Development in Material Science during Oct.2017.
- V. Pradeepa published a paper entitled “Antioxidant and Anticancerous Activities of Fucoxanthin Isolated from Brown Seaweed Sargassum wightii against HepG2 Cell lines.” in International Journal of Innovative Research in Science, Engineering and Technology during June 2017.
- V. Pradeepa and Mr. S. Narendhran attended a Short term Training course on “Basic Techniques in plant and animal tissue culture for mid-career scientist and teaching faculty” organized by Department of Biotechnology, Hindusthan college of Arts and science, Coimbatore on 6th November-22nd November,2017.
- S. Narendhran attended a National Seminar on “Life Science: Research, Practices and application for sustainable development” organized by Bharathiar University on 7th and 8th September, 2018
- G. Subhashini attended a Faculty Development Program on “IGBFS” organized by Infosys during the period 2nd Sep to 10th September, 2018.
- G. Subhashini and Mrs.S.Manjukeswari attended FDP on “Entrepreneurship Development” organized by Bharathiar University during the period 6th Dec to 20th December, 2017.
- Aneesha Presented a Poster in the International Conference on “Biosciences & Bioinformatics” organized by Department of Biochemistry, Biotechnology, Microbial Biotechnology and Bioinformatics, Bharathiar University on 14/12/2017 to 16/12/2017
- Shyam of II UG Biotechnology Microbiological Laboratory Techniques- Training Programme at RND Bio Solutions Coimbatore from 23rd May to 2nd June 2017.
- Merlin Priya. M of II PG Biotechnology got selected for the internship at Aavin Milk Industry from 25th May to 8th June 2017.
- II PG students underwent an internship training on “Molecular Biology, Tissue Culture and Biotechnological Tools” conducted by UPASI Tea Research Foundation, Valparai on 2nd -21st June 2017
- Mohan Raj.V, Vinu Prasath.M, Birundha.M, Sakthivel, Cruz Charles were selected for the internship at Pasteur Institute, Conoor during June 2017.
- Sarumathi, P.J.Aneesha, N.Deepak Kumar, K.Shanmuga Sundaram, R.Praveen Kumar, D.Monisha, Reshma K Nair, N.Sasikala, were selected and participated in the internship programme at Department of Biochemistry, Biotechnology and Bioinformatics Avinashilingam institute for Home Sciences and Higher Education for Women, Coimbatore. From 2nd to 16th June 2017.
- Sasi Kumar.S was selected for internship programme at Kavin’s Bioresearch, Chennai from 5th to 20th June 2017.
- Iyappan .M, Vijay.R, Naveen Prasath.S was selected for internship Programme at Valparai, Upasi from 2nd June to 23rd June 2017.
JAN 2018- JUN 2018
- S. Narendhran and Dr. D. Jayasheela, have applied for patent on the topic “A Process for isolating and identifying the Active Constituent of Abutilon hirtum Ethanol Extract, Being a Constituent for the treatment of Squamous Cell Carcinoma”
- S. Narendhran and Dr. M. Ramesh, have applied for patent on the topic “A Process for Green Synthesis of Lithium Nanoparticle Using Tagetes Flower Ethanolic Extract: Application to Photocatalytic activity”
- S.Naveen Prasath, II M.Sc Biotechnology and Mrs.V.Pradeepa received the fund of Rs. 10,000 under TNSCST – Student project scheme for the Project entitled “Pesticide degrading potentials of microorganisms isolated from dye Industrial Effluents in Tirupur area”
- The Department of Biotechnology in association with Yushmakam Organised a two day Value added Programme on “ Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) awareness and Good manufacturing practices (GMP)” on 29th and 30th January, 2018. Mr. Saju Thomas from Yushmakam trained the students.
- The Department Organised a Job Oriented Programme on “Molecular Computational tools in Bioinformatics” for II year students from 9th February, 2018 to 11th February, 2018.
- The Department organized an Orientation Programme in association with Kavin’s Bioresearch, Chennai on “Career Opportunities in Biotechnology” held on 14th February, 2018.
- J.Karthikeyan acted as Technical Chairperson in National Seminar on Recent innovations in Biosciences held on 5th Jan.2018 at Dr.R.V.Arts and Science College, Coimbatore
- J.Karthikeyan acted as Invited Resource person in ICMR and DST-SERB sponsored 6th National Conference on Emerging Trends and new Challenges in Biotechnology held on 1st February, 2018 at MGR College, Hosur
- J.Karthikeyan acted as Invited Resource person in 11th National Symposium on Modern Biological Sciences held on 27th Feb.2018 at Shri Nehru Maha Vidyalaya, Coimbatore
- J.Karthikeyan acted as Technical Chairperson in 11th National Symposium on Modern Biological Sciences held on 27th Feb.2018 at Shri Nehru Maha Vidyalaya, Coimbatore.
- D.Jayasheela and Dr.A.Dhivya published a paper entitled “Invitro cytotoxic studies of Viburnum punctatum Buch.-Ham.ex D.Don Ethanolic leaf extract against MCF-7 Breast cancer cell lines in an International Journal of Innovative pharmaceutical Sciences and Research, March 2018.
- A.Dhivya and Dr.D.Jayasheela published a paper entitled “Evaluation of invitro anti-inflammatory activity of Cordia monoica (Roxb.) leaves” in European journal of Biomedical and pharmaceutical sciences, February, 2018.
- S. Manjukeswari attended two days National Conference on “Microbial Prospects for Credible Development –Scope and Outcome – 2018 held on 24th and 25th January, 2018 conducted by Karpagam Academy of Higher Education, Coimbatore.
- M.Ramesh participated in Two days National conference on “Microbial Prospects for credible development-Scope and outcome” organized by Department of Microbiology, Karpagam Academy of higher education,Coimbatore on 24.01.2018 & 25.01.2018.
- Narendhran Published a paper entitled “Nanoparticles and their toxicology studies: A green chemistry approach” in Research & Development in Material Science, January, 2018
- Narendhran Published a book chapter in a Conference proceedings on “Genotoxicity of ZnO nanoparticles in Sesamum Indicum and their antifungal activity against plant pathogen”, Life Science: Research, Practices and application for sustainable development, Macmillan Publisher, New Delhi, Editor: Dr. P. Ponmurugan,Dr. V. Ramasubramanian, Pg. 382-387
- D.Jayasheela attended a Faculty Development programme on “Global Business Foundation Skills” Conducted by Infosys BPM Ltd at Chennai from 22nd to 30th May, 2018.
- V.Pradeepa presented a paper entitled “Anti-proliferative effect of Methanolic extract of Cinchona officinalis” in National conference on “Microbial prospects for credible development-scope and outcome” organized by Department of Microbiology, Karpagam academy of higher education, Coimbatore on 24th and 25th January,2018
- V.Pradeepa presented a paper entitled “Biopolymer mediated nanoparticles synthesized from Adenia hondala induced G2/M phase cell cycle arrest on breast cancer cell” in an International seminar on “Advanced materials” organized by National centre for Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, Madras University, Guindy campus on 27th -28th, February, 2018.
- J of II B.Sc Biotechnology participated in 22nd National youth festival 2018 held at Uttar Pradesh from 12th – 16th January, 2018.
- M.K.Arya, III UG (Biotech) was selected for the Summer Research fellowship Programme 2018 of Science Academies under the guidance of Prof. Dinesh, Bhatt, Dean, Life Sciences, Gurukul Kangri Vishwavidyalaya, Haridwar during May-July 2018 with a monthly fellowship of Rs.12, 000.
- II B.Sc., Students participated in a National level Seminar on “Molecular markers in Genetic disorders with special reference to Diabetes” organized by Department of Biotechnology, Dr.G.R.D College of Arts and Science (Autonomous), Coimbatore held on 5th and 6th January, 2018.
- Students of II B.Sc and II M.Sc participated in Science Academies Lecture Workshop on “Modern Trends in Biology with a focus on Nanobiotechnology organized by Department of Biochemistry, PSG College of Arts and Science held on 30th and 31st January, 2018.
- S of II B.Sc Biotechnology participated in a drawing competition organized by Tamilnadu Science Association on 26th January, 2018
- II M.Sc., III B.Sc., and II B.Sc., students participated in one day workshop on “Practical Botany” organized by PG and Research department of Botany, NGM College, Pollachi on 24th January, 2018.
- II B.Sc students participated and presented paper on “Novel Trends in Bioscience” organized by PG and Research Department of Biotechnology and microbiology, Hindustan college of Arts and Science held on 3rd February,2018.
- S of II B.Sc Biotechnology participated in National workshop on “Developmental Biology - Gametogenesis and Fertilization, organized by Biotechnika Info Labs held on 10th February, 2018.
- Santhanapandiselvi of II B.Sc Biotechnology participated and won 2nd prize in the event Wealth out of waste conducted by Innopreneurs club, PSG College of Arts and Science held on 14th March, 2018.
- Santhanapandiselvi of II B.Sc Biotechnology participated and won 1st prize in the event Wealth out of waste conducted by Sri Ramakrishna Business School, ZEPHYZ, 2K17 held on 16th March, 2018.
- R and Shobika.D of II B.Sc Biotechnology completed their NPTEL online certification course in March, 2018.
- II M.Sc., students participated in Science Academies lecture workshop on “Recent Scenario in Biotechnology” organized by Department of Biotechnology, Sri Krishna College of Arts and Science college, held on 26th and 27th June, 2018.
- I M.Sc Students visited Yazh Xenomics on 22nd March, 2018
- Subhashini Ganesan has successfully completed the “Faculty Development Program” organized by Biocon Acedemy, Bangalore from 2nd July 2018 to 13th July 2018.
- Santhana Pandi selvi R of III B.Sc Biotechnology participated in Interstate Quiz competition conducted by Department of Management studies at Nehru institute of Technology, Coimbatore on 12th July 2018
- III B.Sc Biotechnology students have participated in one day National level workshop on “Intellectual property Rights” organized by Sankara Research cell, Sankara college of Science and Commerce, Coimbatore on 21st July 2018.
- Bharanidharan J of III B.Sc Biotechnology participated and successfully completed 10km/5km/3km/1km in ECL Marathon 2018 organized by the “New Indian Express” on 22nd July 2018.
- Subhashree S, Vinothini P and Siddarth R V of II B.Sc Biotechnology participated in the summer “Internship program on Nanotechnology” organized by the Department of Nanoscience and Technology from Sri Ramakrishna Engineering college, Coimbatore from July 25-27th